In more bridge news, the I-90 Bridge will also be closed at times this week.
I’m not sure I understand WHY the bridge is closed to bikes, but I could envision a wild scenario like this: I’m biking across the bridge and I get so distracted by precision aircraft overhead piloted by hot Naval officers in uniforms that I don’t watch where I’m going and I lose control of my bike, careening right off the bridge. Then, since the bridge is closed to traffic and no rescue vehicles could hoist me out of the water, I get picked up by drunken bikini-clad revelers watching the air show. I sue the state for failure to close the bridge and prevent this traumatic experience, which led me to develop gephyrophobia, which ruins my quality of life in a city riddled with bridge crossings.
It could happen!
Whatever. The bridge will be closed.
From WSDOT’s website:
Interstate 90 will be closed to all vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists, eastbound and westbound, mainline and express lanes, between Interstate 5 in Seattle to Island Crest Way on Mercer Island:
- Thursday, Aug. 5: 9:45 a.m. – noon & 1:15 – 2:30 p.m., (Practice)
- Friday, Aug. 6: 12:45 p.m. – 2:40 p.m., (Practice)
- Saturday, Aug. 7: 12:45 p.m. – 2:40 p.m., (Full show)
- Sunday, Aug. 8: 12:45 p.m. – 2:40 p.m., (Full show)
* The bridge will be closed to pedestrians and cyclists up to 30 minutes prior to posted closure times.